Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Is Stripping Harmful? Part One

In a word, yes. I have recently accepted the fact that I am inflicting long-term psychological damage upon myself by working in this industry. From what I can tell, this damage manifests itself in two ways. First, in my attitude towards men, and second, in my sense of entitlement.

I hate to say it but yes, some shifts are bad and I start to feel like I hate men. As one bouncer once put it, otherwise ordinary men can "turn into animals" in a strip club. A lot of my customers are sweethearts, but a lot more of them are disrespectful and/or rude, if not overtly misogynistic and/or abusive, and when alcohol is added, things can get ugly. Even when customers are on their best behavior, I'm still immersed in an industry where my appearance is of the utmost importance; objectification goes without saying and even the most stunning dancer faces routine rejection.

So in the club I have to be, as Beth & I decided back in the day, a tough cookie. I have to stay focused, brush off all the bullshit customers say and do, and treat them like the dollar signs they are. Outside the club in my normal life, day-to-day life, I don't really think about work that much, but inevitably there are aspects of it that creep in, especially on the subconscious level. The best example I can give of this phenomenon is my reoccurring dream of being stuck in the middle of a shark-infested ocean. Mom suggested (and I see her point) that I have this dream frequently because I feel I am surrounded by predators. Another example is that I often get defensive or downright rude with men; also I have a tendency to sometimes look at guys and think, "Who do you think you are? I would own you if we were in my club." Not healthy...but not necessarily untrue.

The best way I've found to combat a festering hatred towards the male gender is to surround myself as much as possible with positive male influences, such as family members and my awesome male friends. I guess the aim is to strike a balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment